The destination for the Easter Fleche this year will be Cork city.
The Fleche is a unique and challenging event in the audax calendar. Riding in teams of 3-5, riders travel for twenty-four hours along routes of their own choosing to converge on a common destination point where they stare bleary-eyed at each other over all-day breakfasts and restorative pints. The traditional date of the Easter weekend carries with it the guarantee of many hours cycling in the dark and the additional threat of tough weather conditions, but the cameraderie and team spirit more than make up for it. The laurels go to the team that manages the longest route with the Irish record currently standing at 486km.
Full details and rules can be found on the web page. Entries are now open.
For those of you who missed the fun and games at the AGM a couple of weeks ago, here’s a brief recap of the main decisions reached:
- Paul O’Donoghue and Noel McNamara remained in place as President and Treasurer respectively. Niall Diamond replaced Eoghan Barry as Secretary.
- Aidan Creaner took on the job of editing the newsletter.
- Reuben O’Brien will be handling the next clothing order.
- Marc Kilduff will be working on a standard notation for routesheets to improve consistency across all the events.
- John O’Sullivan is heading up a team to work on a 1000km or 1200km brevet in 2014, assisted by Dave Bayley and Marc Kilduff.
- Niall Diamond will be drawing up a system for validation of permanent routes with the development of an End-to-End permanent as a priority.
Nearly twenty people showed up, which bodes well for the future of the club.
The AGM will take place on the evening of November 24th, from 6pm in Nealons of Capel Street. The meeting will take place in the upstairs room. If you would like the chance to shape the direction of audax in Ireland, please join us. If you are interested in standing for election to one of the officerships or to the committee, please contact Eoghan.
There will be drinks afterwards, probably downstairs in Nealon’s but possibly at another nearby pub to be confirmed. All welcome.
We hope to have the SR medals and Flèche certificates for distribution on the evening, but can’t guarantee that yet.