Date: Saturday 3rd August 2019, Start 8.00am
Limited to 25 places max – No Exceptions !
Closing Date: Friday 26th July 2019, unless previously full
Difficulty/Climbing (from * to *****) *****
Organiser: johngmcelligott at gmaildotcom
€5 for CI/IVCA members
€10 non CI/IVCA members, to include 1-day Licence
€5 for optional ACP and/or Audax Ireland medal if required
Payment Options: PayPal only please, to: email@example.com
The route is available as a Permanent any time of the year at a cost of €5, payable to Audax Ireland by PayPal.
Start/Finish: start and finish have been changed and the event will now begin and end at the car park on Railway Road in Kenmare (across from Catholic Church next to town square). There are ladies and gents toilets in the car park.
Please do not mount your bikes on the roof as there are barriers entering and leaving the car park.
There are a lot of accommodation, food and drink options in Kenmare and it is well worth staying in the area.
Download Standard Entry Form: New Entry Forms
Facilities: The event is unsupported and riders should prepare accordingly in terms of sustenance, hydration and on the road repairs. There are public toilets available at start.
Route Map: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/11612185
A challenging 200km with a significant amount of climbing and descending on some of the quietest and most spectacular roads that Kerry has to offer.
I am reverting to the tried and tested route. The cycle begins in Kenmare before meandering through the Iveragh Peninsula and dissecting the Ring of Kerry.
The following are points to note following an organisers ride of the route.
- It is very tough. We had a block headwind for much of the route and struggled to finish on time.
- Have good strong wheels with great tyres – 25mm or 28mm are better. Road is very heavy in a lot of cases.
- Between 23k and 26k there is a lot of very poor road. On the descent from Lough Brin (24-25km) there is a section with loose gravel. This is a steep narrow technical descent. Use caution and common sense.
- From 39-47km you will be sharing the road with jarvies (horse and carts of tourists). The jarvy drivers will give you absolutely no space and will drive straight at you – do not expect them to give way – it’s not going to happen.
- Control #1 is at 69km. Get a receipt or photo or some other proof of passage (strava file, ridewithgps file etc). In Killorglin I highly recommend Jacks bakery on the corner of Bianconi street. The mini apple pies are ideal and will fit in a cycling saddle bag.
- Control #2 is at Glenbeigh – same as control 1. Get proof of passage.
- 114 km there is a shop – this is your last place to get water for the next 65km (unless you want to detour 4km into Caherciveen at 124.7k
- I have marked technical descents on the routemap – please pay attention.
- There is absolutely no support on the day. If you start, it is up to you to finish.
- Cut off time for finishing is : 21.30 pm. Every year we have had people finish around 8ish, prepare for a long but otherwise enjoyable day. In all the years I think we have only had two DNFs or outside the time.
The route is brutally tough, but is absolutely stunning and very rewarding. Makes for a great challenge for climbers and those that love roads that are off the beaten track.
- 1.5 Loughs winter permanent.
- Adrian Nealon 200 (& 100)
- Angel of Mons 200
- Ardattin 200
- Around Down 200
- Audare 200
- Banner 200
- Big Fella 200 (Permanent)
- Birr 200
- Blackwater 200 (Permanent)
- Coastal Classique 200 Permanent
- Dark Hedges 200
- Dawn Raid 200
- Dying Cow 200
- Dying Light 200
- East Wicklow 200 (Permanent only)
- EWC 200
- Excelsior 200 Permanent
- Faceless Monk 200
- Fermanagh 200
- Forgotten Roads 200
- Fratres Cruciferi/4 Towers 200
- Gheimhridh 200 (Winter 200)
- Gimme Shelter 200
- Inner Ring 200
- Kingsmountain 200
- Long Heron/5 Aqueducts 200
- Mayo 200
- Mayo Western Lakes 200/100 MTB
- Mayo XTRM 200
- Mick Byrne 200
- Midlands Meander 200
- Midleton 200
- North Leinster Riviera 200 Permanent
- Nutcracker 200
- Orwell Dublin-Meath-Kildare 200
- Pink Elephant 200
- Rock Savage 200
- Tara 200
- Temporary Fever Hospital 200
- The Cheeky 200 Permanent
- Titanic Torr 200
- Tubbercurry Offroad 200
- Vanishing Battalion 200
- Waterside 200 (Permanent only)
- West Wicklow 200 Permanent
- Wolfe Tone West Cork 200
- Wolftrap 200
- Yola 200