This route is a Permanent only, which can be ridden on a date of your choice, by agreement with the Organiser.
Route Map: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31311365
Entry Fee: €5 by PayPal to email@example.com or by post payable to Audax Ireland, to:
Niall Diamond, 17 Sandyford Road, Dundrum, D16 H2A2.
Please remember to say which event and which rider you are paying for.
Organiser: Michael Byrne
A move to Clonmel in 2017 meant a need to seek out new cycling roads in South Tipp. While fairly local to the area I soon discovered I didn’t really know the local byroads and lanes. On my fairly short wanders I was struck by the amount of old abandoned churches and graveyards in the prettiest of countryside. There’s 20 or so on the route.
The idea of route is simply joining the dots with the quietest of roads and avoiding any major climbing.
The start point is in Marlfield village with the first control at the nearby Protestant church on the banks of the Suir.
The other controls are Knocknagapple (Templetenny) at 59km (a graveyard once visited by a sitting USA president), motorway bridge at 126.4km and Rathcoole cemetery at 151.8km.
Other than the 20 or so graveyards, there are lots of other old ruins along the route. There are also a few 19th Century churches which have been massacred with 1980’s pebbledash, maybe as Ben Sira 9:8 says “avert your eyes”
A few safety points to note
- Roads are almost entirely narrow and with some very poor surfaces. If your idea of audax is smooth tarmac in the hard shoulder of N roads then you are in for a surprise and hardship. There will be potholes, cowshit and auld lads in jeeps driving both ditches
- 28mm tyres would be a minimum. I use GP4000 28mm and found them fine. You won’t regret having wider though
- Around 91km you will have to negotiate Junction 10 of the M8. You are perfectly legal on a bike, but bikes are rare on this junction. Be very careful.
- Right hand turn at 126km of the old N8 road is dangerous. BE VERY CAREFUL
- 126.4 to 130km is really poorly surfaced. Depending on your attitude it’ll be the best of worst part of route for you. If you like keeping your bike clean above all else, maybe pick another permanent.
- 1.5 Loughs winter permanent.
- Adrian Nealon 200 (& 100)
- Angel of Mons 200
- Ardattin 200
- Around Down 200
- Audare 200
- Banner 200
- Big Fella 200 (Permanent)
- Birr 200
- Blackwater 200 (Permanent)
- Coastal Classique 200 Permanent
- Crumbling Rocks 200 Permanent
- Dark Hedges 200
- Dawn Raid 200
- Dying Cow 200
- Dying Light 200
- East Wicklow 200 (Permanent only)
- EWC 200
- Excelsior 200 Permanent
- Faceless Monk 200
- Fermanagh 200
- Forgotten Roads 200
- Fratres Cruciferi/4 Towers 200
- Gheimhridh 200 (Winter 200)
- Gimme Shelter 200
- Inner Ring 200
- Kingsmountain 200
- Long Heron/5 Aqueducts 200
- Mayo 200
- Mayo Western Lakes 200/100 MTB
- Mayo XTRM 200
- Mick Byrne 200
- Midlands Meander 200
- Midleton 200
- North Leinster Riviera 200 Permanent
- Nutcracker 200
- Orwell Dublin-Meath-Kildare 200
- Pink Elephant 200
- Rock Savage 200
- Tara 200
- Temporary Fever Hospital 200
- The Cheeky 200 Permanent
- Titanic Torr 200
- Tubbercurry Offroad 200
- Vanishing Battalion 200
- Waterside 200 (Permanent only)
- West Wicklow 200 Permanent
- Wolfe Tone West Cork 200
- Wolftrap 200
- Yola 200