What is a “Permanent”?
Permanents are audax routes that may be ridden on any date, usually by individual riders or small groups. By their nature they will be unsupported, and cannot be used for PBP qualification or any other award validated by ACP. However they do count towards AI club awards such as RRTY and provide a flexible alternative for people whose schedule makes it difficult to ride calendar events. Typically they can be started from any control along the route, e.g. you could start The Dying Light from Athboy if that was a suitable start location for you.
Please Note: We have checked with Cycling Ireland and they have advised us that any riders officially doing a Permanent ride must have a Cycling Ireland Licence for Insurance purposes. Unfortunately it is not possible to issue 1-day Licences for Permanents, as they are not in the Cycling Ireland Calendar of Events. As with all Audax rides, any CI Licence (Leisure or Race) will suffice, including Affiliated to Cycling Ireland with any Club, or Unaffiliated.
How it works
Entry Fee: There is an Entry Fee of €5 for all Permanent Rides organised by Audax Ireland, which is payable to the Club. It can be sent by PayPal to email@example.com or by post to Andreas Voigt, 12 Brookville Park, Malahide Road, Artane, Dublin 5, D05 F6T2. Please make sure to say who is riding, and which route and planned date you are paying for.
See list of Permanents below, and contact the organiser in advance of the date you plan to ride.
Electronic Option (No Brevet Card required)
The organiser can usually e-mail you the routesheet and if required a GPS Map link. You ride the route, collect receipts, photos, or any other acceptable proof of passage as agreed with the organiser. When finished, e-mail the GPS ride link to the organiser together with the proofs of passage. The organiser will then log the ride with RRTY/Permanents Co-Ordinator Senan, as below.
Snail Mail Option (Brevet Card optional)
The organiser will send you a brevet card and routesheet for the ride. They may also include any Info controls which they deem relevant to ensure the proper completion of the distance. On the day, ride the route, collecting the usual proof of passage at each control. Then post the card and/or proofs of passage to the organiser for validation. Once validated the organiser will post the card back to you, and log your ride with the RRTY/Permanents Co-ordinator Senan Burke, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Obviously if you want to use cards and think that you might do the route more than once, you could order a few cards at the one time and inform the organiser each time you intend to ride.
Brevet Cards are not required, but some riders like to collect them for all their rides.
List of Permanents
- Yola 200 – Jim Kenny
- 1.5 Loughs – Stuart McLean
- 5 Aquaducts 200, Ronald Moore
- 7 Megaliths 300, Ronald Moore
- Angel Of Mons 200, Ronald Moore
- Antrim 300, email@example.com
- Ardattin 200, Paul O’Donoghue
- Around Down 200, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Audare 200 John O’Callaghan
- Banner 200, Senan Burke
- Beara 400, Mike Law
- Big Fella 200, Mike Law
- Birr 200 Gary Bracken
- Blackwater 200, Mike Law
- Brownstuff 400, Dave Bayley
- Coastal Classique 200 eugenskil “at” gmail.com
- Connaught 600 Eamon Nealon
- Crumbling Rocks 200 Michael Byrne
- Dark Hedges 200 Chris McIlhenny
- Dawn Raid 200 Pat Doocey
- Dying Cow 200, David Murphy
- Dying Sow 300, Paul O’Donoghue
- East Wicklow 200 Niall Diamond
- Fermanagh 200 Paul Burchmore
- Faceless Monk 200 Ronald Moore
- Inner Ring 200 johngmcelligott at gmail dot com
- Iron Mountains 300 Pat Doocey
- Kings Mountan 200, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Little Carlingford 200, Marc Kilduff
- Mick Byrne 200, Paul O’Donoghue
- Midlands Meander 200, Conor Isdell
- Midleton 200, Mike Law
- Midlands 300 Dave McLoughlin
- National 400 Dave McLoughlin
- National 600 Dave McLoughlin
- North to the South 200, Stuart McLean
- Orwell 200 Dave McLoughlin
- Pink Elephant 200, Mike Law
- Red Line Red Lane 600, John OSullivan
- REK 400, Niall Diamond
- Tara 200 David Finnigan
- The Cheeky 200 email@example.com
- The Quiet Man 300 Pat Doocey
- Three Rivers 300, Mark Hodnett
- Titanic Torr 200, Stuart McLean
- West Wicklow 200 Helen Kerrane
- Wolfe Tone West Cork 200 Christy Battenti
- Wolftrap 200 , Gary Bracken